Molasses Cookies


I'm bake back with another cooking/baking post :D This was supposed to be a beauty blog but it's quickly becoming a food blog too XD. Molasses sounds pretty gross, but it's actually pretty good (in baking). I'm not sure but it's pretty similar to sugar in the way that it's supposed to sweeten things. Has anyone tried the molasses chips at See's Candies? It's like toffee ^^




I followed Joy the Baker's recipe (I'll include a link at the end) and she made her own brown sugar with molasses and sugar. Mixing it up was kinda a pain cause it smelled notsogreat D: Note to self: half the recipe next time.


Looks pretty good now though c:


After that, you add the butter, home made brown sugar, dry ingredients, eggs, and vanilla extract. Not in that order.

After adding chocolate chips


I've started to become OCD so after I slapped cookie dough together, I spent ages making sure that they were even. Another reason why I'm going to half the recipe next time is because every time I make cookies, my one cookie sheet can't take all of the cookieness and I get squared cookies instead of circle ones. If there's less dough, the cookies can be further apart and won't touch.


I had to use a brownie pan cause there wasn't enough room on the cookie sheet ;__;



Tada!

I'm not sure if I would make this again it's not like I have a choice; I have to finish the molasses because it didn't turn out as well as I had hoped, but maybe I'll have better luck with a smaller batch. The cookie sheet one rose too much and was like a very dense cake almost, and the brownie pan one was too molasses-y :c Then again, I used baking powder instead of baking soda cause I didn't have any XDXD I found a substitution but the two aren't exactly interchangeable. 

Taken from Joy the Baker's recipe

Halved Recipe (for future references)

Ingredients: 
1 stick unsalted butter
1 cup + 1 tablespoons bread flour
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cups granulateds ugar
2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon dark molasses
1/2 egg
1/2 egg yolk
3/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup dark chocolate chips or chunks

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F.

2. Melt the butter in a heavy-bottom medium saucepan over low heat (I just microwaved it :D). Sift together flour, salt, and baking soda and set aside.

3. In a medium sized bowl, mix granulated sugar and molasses until no large molasses clumps remain.

4. Pour the melted butter in the mixer's work bowl. Add the homemade brown sugar. Cream the butter and sugar on medium speed for about 3 minutes. Add the egg, yolk, and vanilla extract and mix until well combined. Slowly incorporate the flour mixture until thouroughly combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.

5. Chill the dough for about 20 minutes, then scoop onto parchment-lined baking sheets. Lightly sprinkle each dough ball with a few flecks of sea salt to bring out the chocolate flavor.

6. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown, checking the cookies after 5 minutes. Rotate the baking sheet for even browning. Cool, then enjoy c:

No comments:

Post a Comment